Peach Frenzy!

The month of May has been overflowing with peaches! I only have one tree, but the round fragrant bounty keeps coming. I have been pealing, canning, baking, and freezing the delicious fruit. My mom helped me can some peach preserves; they turned out tasting like the real thing (I was a little surprised, I admit).

I picked the last peaches today. It was a little bittersweet. I was glad I didn’t have to deal with the sticky, messy fruit any longer, but I also had a brief glimpse at the pride famers must feel when they bring in a crop. I am contemplating planting even more fruit trees.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my peachy experience!

Juicy Goodness

Juicy Goodness
Backyard Bounty

Monday, May 25, 2009

Oh, the Wild Creatures!

Those damn dogs keep getting into my garden. They ate my strawberries (three times), my tomatoes, killed a bell pepper plant, and trampled the basil. Someone is going to have to die... I guess it will be my vegetation. I might feel bad after the deed was done!

In the cover of darkness, my husband and daughter also found about 15 HUGE fat slugs chomping happily away in the strawberry patch! The biggest one was the size of an adult pinky finger. Gross.

I've got to get a handle on the wild creatures in my yard...

1 comment:

  1. I guess its ok to cuss on your blog! Oh, that baby sure is cute and your peaches look peachy!

    ReplyDelete

Why a Garden?

My husband and I eat fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt enough to warrant looking into growing our own components. I started a backyard garden because I was spending a small fortune on fresh organic herbs at the super market. I began with basil, parsley, cilantro, thyme, and oregano, and tomatoes, but gardening was so fun that I was hooked. My parents just happen to be master gardeners, and I grew up playing in rows of green growing things. With their help (Sweet Life Garden), my gardening adventures began. Eventually, I had more basil, tomatoes, spaghetti squash, and bell peppers than my family could eat!

Zucchini
Our veggies have done surprisingly well. Last year we got a plethora of spaghetti squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and bell peppers. We harvested more than our family could eat!

Fresh Herbs!
We have already saved tons of money by growing our own herbs! Fresh and delicious, the herbs add so much flavor to our dishes!